Saturday, March 6, 2010

Green juices & smoothies

It's just recently I have got in to green juices and smoothies, and I was shocked the first time I tried it. It was thick smoothie like and GREEN! How can a green drink taste good I asked myself. I closed my eyes and tasted heaven. I had just read Victoria Boutenko's book Green for life, and it has actually changed my life. Never though a book could affect me that deep and that much, but it truly has. If you get a chance, read it.

Here is some of my favorite combinations.(The variety of greens where I am living isn't the best, unfortunately, but we'll be moving in 2 months time so I am hoping for more options then)
When I make Green juice I like to use pears or apples as a base then a big bunch of greens and some of mint or a piece of fresh ginger to juice as well. I LOVE to put fresh ginger in my juice, makes it so delish! My favorite combo is HEAPS of celery, half a big bunch, 2 apples or pears and a piece of ginger.
When I make Green smoothies I use mango and bananas as a base (makes it very creamy) and a handful of gojiberries plus a big bunch of greens. Haven't been able to get a big variety of fruit and veggies to experiment with, but this is better than nothing :)

If you're new to green juices and smoothies, start with small amounts of greens, the best ones to start with would be spinach, kale, romaine lettuce. just a handful or 2, then add more and more ones you get use to it.

Starter recipe.
1 banana
1 mango
2 handfuls of greens
1 C purified water

Blend in a high speed blender! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment